Welcome to Special Needs Abu Dhabi

Raising a child with special needs can be, in itself, quite challenging. Raising a child with special needs in a new country seems to add much more to that challenge. I started this blog shortly after my husband and I, and our two sons, moved to Abu Dhabi in the summer of 2009. We lived there for under 2 years and are now living back in the United States.


Our oldest son, AJ, has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Sensory Processing Disorder. Finding the resources in Abu Dhabi to help him with his special needs was an ongoing effort. In the U.S., the public school system provides testing, accommodations, and an Individual Education Plan (IEP) for students with special needs, so we were spoiled there -- and dismayed at the seemingly apparent shortage of resources available to ex-patriot families (aka "ex-pats") in Abu Dhabi.


There are resources available in Abu Dhabi -- you just have to know where to look. Which is why I started this blog. My hope was to bring together in one place information to help parents of kids with special needs... so you will at least have a starting point. I also wanted this to be a place where we can reach out and support one another with advice and sometimes just a shoulder to lean on.


We have been back in the U.S. for about a year now, and I haven't written on the blog since the move -- until now. There have been a few parents who found the blog and wrote to me for advice -- and I have been happy to give it. I'm glad that it continues to serve its original purpose of helping ex-pat parents to find resources in Abu Dhabi to help their kids with special needs.


Recently, I have begun feeling the need to write again, but I've been unsure how to move ahead with the blog. In hindsight, I don't know if life is any less challenging in the U.S. than it was in Abu Dhabi. There are still daily struggles. I continue to advocate for my son who has ADHD -- to get him the help in school and in life that he needs in order to thrive, learn and grow. There have been steps forward and backward. I have felt hopeless and hopeful.


If you are in Abu Dhabi, or considering a move there, please leave a comment. If you know of resources that you've found helpful, let me know and I'll add them to the list. If you come across an article or book that has made a difference in your child's life, please share. Most of all, I hope you will share your stories. Wherever you are, it's good to know you're not alone.


Thanks for coming by.


For our kids,

Karen

Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Little Sister, Older Than Me

I am writing today about a topic that is very hard for me to write about -- my 68-year old sister, Gretta. She was 18 years old when I was born in 1959. She was number 3 out of 5 children, when I became number 6. Gretta is the first person I ever knew with special needs. (Please note that I am writing this based on my personal recollection almost 50 years later. The details are a bit difficult to remember.)


Gretta was born with what was then called mental retardation. To just look at her -- at 20, 30, 40 years of age -- you wouldn't know this about her. I thought she was beautiful. She had flawless skin, a beautiful smile, lovely dark brown hair with hints of auburn, a sweet personality, and the most infectious laugh of anyone I've ever known. Intellectually, Gretta never grew beyond the age of 4 or 5 years old. She attended a special education class at elementary school for a brief period but had to withdraw because she had seizures, which the teacher was not able to handle. Gretta did learn to print the alphabet, her name, and other simple words, as well as simple reading. Her speech was very easy to understand compared to some of her friends.


I was told that when I was just a baby, Gretta started trying to hurt me -- by biting and pinching me, and squeezing me too tight. This was when my parents made the tough decision to place her in a state school for the mentally retarded in Mexia, Texas. Gretta loved living there. She made friends with many others girls who were like her. She helped in the nursery with the "babies" (6-7 year-olds in diapers and cribs) who were placed in the school because their families could not care for them. And once, every couple of months, we would make the drive to Mexia and bring her home for a one or two-week visit.



Gretta suffered from hard seizures, which were preceded by her head drawing down and to the left and her left arm and leg drawing inward. My mom believed that Gretta's mood brought on the seizures (which I've since learned was not possible), because she would sometimes be mean or cry a lot prior to a seizure. I remember trying so hard to cheer her up -- thinking that maybe I could keep it from happening. Watching her seizures was very frightening. My mom and I, as well as my older sister, and family and friends -- whoever happened to be there at the time -- would try our best to help her through them. We would rub her back, legs and arms, talk softly and reassuringly to her, and try to make sure she didn't hurt herself.


Years after I had grown up and my father had passed away, my mother decided to move Gretta to a group home nearer to where she lived. Her seizures were under better control with medication and she seemed ready to participate in a more independent environment. The residents helped to cook and care for the house and five days a week they were taken in a bus to various locations for work. (As I recall, Gretta's work involved putting gaskets together and boxing them.) At work, Gretta met Donald. Donald was also mentally retarded but lived at home with his mother. Donald dressed in cowboy shirts and double-knit slacks and spoke with a very slow southern drawl. He was a true southern gentleman and treated Gretta like she was a queen. He would often visit her at the group home, where they would watch TV together and hold hands.




Then, one day Gretta fell down the stairs and ended up in the hospital. She never fully recovered from the fall, and was never able to walk again. It was believed that the fall was caused by a seizure. Gretta moved back home where Mom took over her care with some help from a nurse who would come by a few hours a week. As time went by, Gretta's seizures got worse and worse. She took many different types of medications to control them but inevitably a dose would be missed or be late and the seizure would come. Our mother was getting older and it became too difficult to lift Gretta out of her wheelchair for bedtime, bathing or using the toilet. So, she was moved into a nursing home (which, in the U.S., is usually only for the elderly). She was moved around to various nursing homes until one was found where she would be treated with respect and loving care.


Gretta has a big fan club of nurse's aids at the nursing home where she now lives. She has a reputation for being very sweet and having the nicest manners. She has very strong arms and will help the aids by holding onto the rails on her bed when they come to change her bedding under her. These strong arms also give wonderful hugs. Just the other day, she told one of the aids, "You make me so happy!" 


About 6 years ago, our mother died in another nursing home, leaving my older sister, Patricia, to take over as guardian of Gretta. Patricia visits Gretta almost daily and checks to make sure her care is the best. Patricia and Gretta often sing together. Gretta's favorite song is You Are My Sunshine. Whenever Gretta sees Patricia, she tells her, "I love you Pwisha," and gives her a great big hug.


With every hard seizure now, Gretta ends up back in the hospital on life support. And with every seizure, she loses more of her ability to remember short-term events, like a visit from a friend or family member. But she is still a happy person, with a quick smile and hug, and is loved by all who know her.


Today, Gretta is once again back in the hospital and, we are told by doctors, she may not make it this time. Patricia has signed a Do Not Resuscitate order so that no life support interventions are used -- one of the hardest decisions she has ever had to make. Gretta is unable to move her once strong arms and is extremely lethargic. Even so, she seems at peace.


Yes, writing this was hard for me, but I feel that sharing stories such as this might help others. If only one person is helped by reading this, then it will all be worth it. Please consider sharing your story on this blog -- you won't regret it, and maybe, you'll help someone.


I love you so much Gretta,
Your baby sister,
Karen
specialneedsabudhabi@gmail.com

4 comments:

kathy m said...

Congratulations on your Blog! It is chock full of great resources! Thank you for sharing your sister's story. She is so lucky to have a loving
family to care for her. km

Karen said...

@ kathy m: Thank you!!

Update on Gretta: I spoke with my sister, Patricia, and she said that Gretta is actually improving and has been moved back to the nursing home! She has regained some movement in her hands and is talking a little. The doctors are amazed that she seems to have pulled through this latest medical emergency, but they are still trying to figure out just what happened.

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

Karen, although this post isn't really about the term "mentally retarded" since you asked me to visit I just wanted to give my thoughts on that, first. Like you said in your comment on my post, I don't really have a problem with the medical use of the word although many I know do. When my daughter was younger and I visited my older daughter's classmates I even told them the word itself was ok if used properly. Whatever term you use, it does all mean the same thing.

That said, I'm so glad you pointed me to this post. What a beautiful story. I love hearing about older individuals with intellectual disabilities and even more love hearing how the siblings are caring for their sibling with special needs when the parents no longer can. One day that will be us. I hope my older girls (and I know they will) will take as good of care of my Peanut as you and your sister are doing for Gretta. I'm glad she's back home now.

Karen said...

Thanks Debbie! (For readers: Debbie is referring to my comment on her post on 5 Minutes for Special Needs -- http://www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com/6732/i-cant-believe-i-said/ -- regarding use of the term "retarded.")

Further update on Gretta: She continues to improve! Full movement now in both arms and her appetite is back. Episode was most likely due to an aide giving her too much medication, but we may never know for sure.